Ensuring deduction as per the regulations is very important in Canada and every single entrepreneur needs to take the matter very seriously. Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) takes the compliance issues seriously. Any hints of misclassification or non-compliance will bring legal complication for any business.
There are instances when unintended mistakes can happen also while making the deductions. One needs to know the nuances to avoid any mistake from happening. We will discuss the basics of deductions so that any new entrepreneur can remain aware of the issues and can avoid mistakes.
Know What to Deduct
As an employer, you will have to know about all deduction heads. Then you have to ensure the deductions are being done as per the law. After opening a payroll account for a new employee, the process only starts. You have got to collect all information about the employee for ensuring the compliance. The list of the heads of deductions can be challenging to keep track but this is the way to ensure compliance. Deduction list includes CPP contributions, EI premiums, and income tax from paychecks. After deduction is done, you have to make sure the sum of money is deposited to the right place. No mistake or error will be condoned if you fail to deposit the sum accordingly. The rates of deductions are very important factors and you have to make sure you are conforming to the regulations. Once filling out the tax forms are completed, here comes the reporting part. You have to report the income and deductions of the respective employee in the appropriate T4 and T4A slip.
Yes, it may appear a daunting task to keep track all the ever changing regulations and remaining compliant while processing the payroll of your employees properly. However, making errors in deductions and remitting the money is not an option. For a small business, one can not take the risk of making errors in payroll processing and thereby incur fines. And then comes the trust factor. No one wants to confuse one’s employees by making mistakes in the paycheque deductions. The fine is not the end of the story. Legal fees can complicate the issue further and take away the dream of business expansion.
CRA Payroll Calculator
Canadian Payroll Agency (CRA) Payroll Deductions Online Calculator is an effective resource for you to get an idea about the deductions to do. You will have the opportunity to calculate all details like federal decisions, provincial deductions by entering the data from your end. If you want to use the calculation in your payroll processing, you have to do it on your own as CRA does not take any liability in case of miscalculation due to wrong data entry. It is a good idea to use this calculator for getting an overview only.
Delegate the Task; Outsource Your Payroll
Outsourcing your payroll to a trusted payroll provider will make your life easier. Miscalculation, wrong deduction etc will not bother you anymore as the expert at the payroll provider will take care of the details. In the case of any unwanted miscalculation, the provider will bear the responsibility. Once you outsource the payroll, it will bring you free time and resource to focus on the core business activities.
Besides error free calculations and deductions, a good payroll processing company will make sure all the processing are done on time and your employees are paid in time. They will also make sure, everything is being done to comply with the federal and provincial laws. A good payroll provider always remains updated with the laws and you will not be needing to worry about any change in the laws.
Tips for Finding the Right Payroll Provider
There are various benefits for outsourcing your payroll to a reputed and qualified payroll provider. You can have more time and resource for focusing on your core business operation once you have a payroll provider. However, you have to select the right payroll provider for your business. Once on board, a payroll provider virtually works as the extension of your core team. So, you have to be cautious before hiring your payroll provider. Here are some basic tips for you to find the best payroll provider for your business:
- Preliminary Research: Before shortlisting few firms, you should do bit of research. You can google who are offering what. You can also talk to your fellow businesses for an opinion. Other businesses can tell you who are most customer friendly and offer customized solutions. You should not focus on price and big names only rather you have to look for the best solution for your business.
- Detailed Research: Once you get your primary research done, you can shortlist few and then do deep research. You can visit the websites of the firms and talk to their customers. If online reviews are available then you can go though. In case online reviews are not available, look for the some existing customers for feedback on the services. It is not a good idea to rely on one feedback from online or offline. Remember, you are virtually hiring your own businesses extension and that requires bit of careful research and analyses.
- Focus on the Requirements: Before you finalize your payroll provider, you need to know what you need. Then only you can select the right and best provider. If your business needs customized solution, big payroll providers may not be the right solution for you. Once you are confident what you need and your research about the options are done, you can expect to select the right payroll provider. You can now provide a list of deliverables and ask for quotations from the short listed payroll providers. By the way, never forget to include your probable needs in future while you prepare the deliverables.
- Negotiation Time: Now it is time for negotiation with the representatives of the payroll providers. You should meet them in-person, if possible. Ask them to demonstrate their expertise and experience. Try to understand how far they will go to ensure you are getting the service you need. This is the time when you have to settle the service benchmark that has to be non-negotiable. When they will share you their experiences with other clients, make sure you follow up with the references. Once you are confident about the ability, you can move on to settle the financials and finalize the deal.
- Back to Business: Once you have signed the agreement, it is time to get back to business. Yes you can concentrate on your core business operation. Now it is time to realize your dream expansion of your venture. Your payroll is in the hands of experts and they will work on behalf of you as an extension of your business.
Outsource your employee’s payroll and get peace of mind. Reliable payroll services, no hidden or setup fees.
- Affordable & No Hidden Fees
- Customizable to Your Needs
- Quick Setup
- No Contracts
- Easy to Use
- Access from Anywhere
- Gain Insights with GL
- Fast Response Time
- 20+ Yrs of Experience
- Less Hands-On
Payroll services with HRMS and integrated employee time & attendance tracking systems from Payworks Canada.
- Our solutions are simple and easy to use
- 100% online input or you can phone in your changes to us
- We’ll set you up and balance your first payroll
- Personalized support included at no extra charge
- Cloud-based solutions mean there is no software to purchase, install or upgrade
- Complete hassle free year-end package and we file for you
- All government remittances are handled for you at no extra charge
ADP offers industry-leading online payroll and HR solutions, plus tax, compliance, benefit administration and more.
- Payroll processing that’s faster and easier
- Employee and manager self-service
- Certified, experienced payroll professionals available 24/7
- Simple integration with business software, time tracking, HR systems and ERPs
- Make payroll and reporting CRA compliant
- Help to ensure tax compliance for foreign or domestic employees working in Canada
- Reduce aggravation by setting up services properly at the start, and having people with deep knowledge in Canadian and international compliance requirements, registration components, and calculation elements
- Submit waiver applications to minimize tax installments
- Set up shadow payrolls
- Liaise with CRA on behalf of clients, and assist with reviews and audits
Pivotal Integrated HR Solutions has helped many small and mid-sized Canadian businesses pivot: bringing HR capabilities normally only available to large enterprises.
- Dedicated Payroll Specialist
- Externally audited under the CSAE 3416
- Reliability and outsourced convenience
- Customizable reporting
- No contract termination fees
- Dedicated Payroll Specialist
- Real-time preview
- Outsource any and all remittances and third-party payments
- Pre-defined timecards
- Customizable reporting
- Our payroll platform or yours
- Maternity leave and sick leave coverage
- Last-minute coverage
PayTrak Payroll Services is a National payroll company specializing in all aspects of Canadian Payroll.
- Easy to use data submission portal
- Emailed PayStubs to employees and payroll reports to employers
- Optional Online Employee and Client portals
- Employee Paystubs and T4’s
- Customizable suite of reports for employers
- 24/7 accessibility
- Online and Call in technical support
- All government and tax remittances calculated, deducted, and payments made on your behalf.
- Pay your employees by direct deposit or cheque.
From payments to promotional products, digital marketing, incorporation services and more – Deluxe has been supporting businesses and financial institutions for over 100 years.
- Reduce cost
- Increase efficiency
- Ensure compliance
- Increase accuracy
- Increase accessibility
Easypay Payroll is an easy-to-use yet powerful software solution for small to medium-sized Canadian businesses.
- Since 1985
- Runs on Windows
- No Limits
- Annual Support Package
- Accounting Package Interfaces
- Direct Deposit
- Online Pay Stubs and T4 Slips
- Record of Employment
- Pay History
- Deductions and Benefits
- Multi-departmental Costing
- Year-end Reports
- Electronic Filing using XML: T4, T4A and RL-1
- Time Clock Interface / Customizer Module
PEO Canada offers integrated employee management services to small and medium businesses across Canada.
- Multiple time-capture options
- Direct deposit and online pay statements for all employees
- Expense reimbursement
- Payroll system administration and software upkeep
- Guidance and application of payroll deductions and taxable benefits
- Record of Employment administration and reporting
- Source deduction and remittance administration
- Year-end T4/RL1 statements and summaries, reconciliations and filing for all employer taxes
CanPay launched Canada’s very-first online payroll solution more than 20 years ago. Today we are proud to offer eNETEmployer, the newest generation of cloud-based payroll.
- Cloud-Based Software – Work from any Internet-enabled location – at a time that’s convenient for you.
- Desktop Software – Use our desktop sofware to keep your payroll in-house and under your control.
- Self-Service Payroll – For a hands-on approach, use self-service to process and manage your payroll.
- Full-Service Payroll – Save time and let us process your payroll, pay your employees, and your CRA remittance.
PSI specializes in Canadian payroll services solutions for US companies with Canadian employees.
- Payroll Processing
- International Payroll
- Government Remittances
- Affordable Group Benefits
The author Dennis P. Reed possesses a vast experience in the IT industry, especially in the domains of website and mobile app development and digital marketing. He writes on topics encompassing the above mentioned domains and is considered a maven in his chosen field – Information Technology.