Infrastructure as code (IaC) is the practice of managing and provisioning infrastructure resources programmatically, using configuration files, scripts, and other software tools. IaC enables software development teams to standardize and automate their infrastructure deployment process. As a result, they can achieve faster, more consistent, and more reliable deployments.
However, with the increasing adoption of IaC, security has emerged as a critical concern. Since IaC requires developers to define the infrastructure using code, the security risks associated with traditional coding practices also apply to IaC. As such, developers must ensure that they incorporate security into their IaC pipelines.
To address the security concerns associated with IaC, developers can use various security tools. These tools help developers to identify and fix security issues in their IaC code, infrastructure configuration, and deployment process. Below are some examples of IaC security tools:
- Static Application Security Testing (SAST) tools: SAST tools analyze the IaC code before deployment for known vulnerabilities, coding errors, and other security issues. They also provide automated feedback on coding practices that may impact security, such as the use of unencrypted passwords or hard-coded access keys.
- Infrastructure Configuration Assessment tools: Infrastructure Configuration Assessment tools analyze the configuration of the infrastructure deployed using IaC (such as AWS CloudFormation templates or Terraform configurations) and identify misconfigurations that could lead to security vulnerabilities. For instance, they check for overly permissive security group rules, wide-open ports, or resource policies that include unauthorized principals.
- Vulnerability Scanning tools: Vulnerability scanning tools assess the infrastructure deployed using IaC for known vulnerabilities in the underlying software, libraries, and frameworks. They also detect vulnerabilities in the runtime environment and provide guidance on how to remediate them.
- Compliance Monitoring tools: Compliance monitoring tools ensure that the infrastructure deployed using IaC meets regulatory and industry-specific compliance standards. They continuously monitor the infrastructure for changes that could affect compliance and provide automated feedback on compliance gaps.
- Secrets Management tools: Secrets Management tools manage secrets such as passwords, API keys, and access tokens that are used in IaC configs. These tools encrypt and store secrets in a secure repository that is only accessible by authorized personnel. They also facilitate secrets rotation and ensure that no secrets are hardcoded in IaC code.
- Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) tools: CI/CD tools are used to automate the build, testing, and deployment of IaC pipelines. They enable teams to test and deploy their code quickly and efficiently, reducing the risk of introducing new security vulnerabilities.
- Identity and Access Management (IAM) tools: IAM tools are used to define and manage the access permissions for resources and users. They ensure that only authorized users have access to the infrastructure and resources.
IaC security tools are essential for ensuring the security of infrastructure deployed using IaC. They provide developers with automated feedback on the security of their IaC code, configuration, and deployment process. As such, using security tools in IaC pipelines is critical to achieving a secure and efficient infrastructure deployment process.
PingSafe – unified cloud security platform with CNAPP, CSMP, CWPP, CDR & CIEM solutions to secure your multi-cloud infrastructure.
- Comprehensive visibility equals better compliance
- Proof of Exploitability with PingSafe
- Eliminate the menace of Secret Leakage
- Shift Left & do right
Snyk helps software-driven businesses develop fast and stay secure. Continuously find and fix vulnerabilities for npm, Maven, NuGet, RubyGems, PyPI and more.
- IDE plugins improve developer productivity
- Unified policy engine ensures secure and compliant IaC
- Efficiency from one platform
- IaC security from tools you use
Prisma Cloud scans IaC templates for misconfigurations and exposed secrets across the development lifecycle, embedding security in integrated development environments, continuous integration tools, repositories and runtime environments.
- Continuous governance to enforce policies in code
- Embedded in DevOps workflows and tooling
- Automated misconfiguration fixes via pull requests
Bridgecrew streamlines infrastructure as code security scanning to automatically find and fix misconfigurations in Terraform, CloudFormation, and more.
- Thousands of IaC policies and built-in fixes
- Graph-based and contextual security feedback
- Integrated into developer tools and workflows
Automate cloud security and compliance from infrastructure as code through run-time to go faster in AWS, Azure and Google Cloud environments.
- IaC Security Powered by Open Policy Agent
- Developer Friendly Tools and Integrations
- Centralized IaC Security
- Security for Cloud, Containers, and Kubernetes
- Comprehensive Compliance Coverage
- Visualize Your IaC and Security
Zscaler, creator of the Zero Trust Exchange platform, helps you reduce business risk while enabling you to realize the promise of digital transformation.
- Prevent IaC misconfigurations
- Integrate scanning in developer workflows
- Get rapid, guided remediation
- Stop configuration drift
- Enforce guardrails
- Generate alerts in near-real-time
Ermetic delivers Infrastructure as a Code (IaC) scanning as part of a comprehensive and integrated Cloud Native Application Protection Platform (CNAPP).
- IaC Flaws = Increased Attack Surface
- Identify Misconfigurations & Compliance Violations in Code
- Integrate Security into the Development Pipeline
- Built-In Remediation
- Compliance Benchmarks
- Cloud-Native Security across the Full Lifecycle
Sonar employs dozens of IaC specific rules to capture code quality issues in your projects including CloudFormation, Terraform, serverless, lambda, Docker, Kubernetes and more.
- Clean as You Code Methodology
- Sonar Quality Gate Pass/Fail
- Actionable, Highly-precise Analysis Results
- Clear Remediation Guidance
Cyral’s data security governance platform easily authenticates, authorizes, and audits access to your databases in any cloud.
- Centralized and automated provisioning
- Unique credentials and password rotation
- Complete visibility and simple compliance controls
Synopsys is an IDE-based application security solution that helps you find and fix security issues as you code, without switching tools or interrupting your workflow.
- Code more securely without changing your workflow
- Identify vulnerable open source dependencies
- Fix issues faster with automated remediation
- Write better code and avoid security issues