Project management software is a tool used to manage tasks, timelines, budgets, and resources. It is a valuable asset to project managers and their teams, helping to streamline workflows and keep projects on track. There are various types of project management software available in the market today, but one of the most popular and trending is open-source project management software.
One of the main benefits of using open source project management software is its cost-effectiveness. Open-source software is free to use, so companies can avoid the licensing fees associated with commercial software. Additionally, there is no need to purchase expensive hardware or hire IT professionals to manage the software.
Another advantage is the flexibility of open-source project management software. It can be customized and tailored to meet the specific needs of a business or project. With access to the source code, users can modify, update and add new features to the software, making it more adaptable to their requirements. This flexibility also allows teams to experiment with various features and functionalities before settling on the ones that work best for their project.
Collaboration is another critical factor in project management. Open-source software has collaboration components built into the application, enabling team members to communicate and collaborate in real-time. This feature reduces communication gaps, allowing team members to share messages, files, and documents in a central location. This feature helps to ensure that everyone is on the same page, even if they are working remotely.
Open-source software is also highly secure. With a public source code, security vulnerabilities and threats can be detected and addressed quickly. The open-source community can work together to develop and implement security patches and updates promptly. This feature gives an additional level of reassurance that the software remains safe for its users.
One of the disadvantages of open-source software is that it requires technical expertise to configure and install. Therefore, businesses may need to hire IT personnel to aid in installation. However, this is a one-time cost, and the software is usually available for free.
Moreover, since open-source projects are maintained by a community of developers and contributors, there may be varying levels of support and resources available. However, most of the popular open-source project management tools have robust online communities, with many online resources. Therefore, users can reach out to online forums, blogs, and wikis, or get support from service providers if they need any help.
Open-source project management software is an excellent option for businesses looking for a flexible, cost-effective, and customizable tool to manage their projects. It offers ample benefits such as low cost, flexibility, security, and collaboration, and is supported by an active community, making it a great choice for businesses of all sizes. The best way to take advantage of its benefits is by testing different options and finding one that works best for your project management needs.
OpenProject offers classical as well as agile project management features to support your project teams throughout the whole project life-cycle.
- Stay on top of all your projects
- Deliver your projects on time
- Transparent responsibilities and tracking of progress
- Achieve more with agile project management
- Time tracking and cost reporting for efficiently managing projects
- Keep your team up to date
- Plan transparently by including all stakeholders
- Become more efficient with customization
Plane – open-source project management tool to manage issues, sprints, and product roadmaps with peace of mind.
- Simple, yet great UX, so you can get started in minutes
- Cycles and Modules, a better way to use any frameworks
- Extend or Integrate with your favourite tools
Leantime is an open source project management system for the non-project manager. Work management so simple you don’t need an MBA to use it.
- You already know how to manage a To Do list
- The solution for every project hurdle
- Made for humans by humans
- Project management for every role in business
Orangescrum open source project management software is for all businesses and individuals. It helps your team to manage projects and tasks in a single place and track your team.
- Collaborative Project Management
- Robust Time & Resource Management
- Interactive Workflow & Schedule Management
- Reporting Dashboards
- Budget & Financial Management
- High-Level Security
Taiga is an easy and intuitive yet powerful project management tool for multi-functional agile teams.
- Intuitive and simple, yet feature complete Kanban board
- Complete set of boards to plan and show individual sprints from backlog
- Integrated and complete issues/bug tracking
- Complete set of dashboards and reporting possibilities
- Overview of progress on activities & completed deliverables
- Start simple and add functionality when you need it
Free desktop project scheduling and management app with Gantt chart for Windows, Linux and macOS.
- GanttProject is easy to use
- GanttProject is mature, popular and trusted
- GanttProject is Free Software
TaskJuggler is a modern and powerful, Free and Open Source Software project management tool.
- Basic Properties
- Advanced Scheduling
- Scaling and Enterprise Features
- Web Publishing and Groupware Functions
ProjectLibre has grown into a global provider of project management software with both a Cloud version and desktop open source replacement of Microsoft Project.
- #1 Microsoft Project Alternative
- Cloud Project Management
- Open source project management software
Rukovoditel is an open source application designed for installation on your own local server or Internet server with PHP/MySQL support.
- Free and Open-Source
- Mobile optimized
- Quick Integration
- Web application
- Reporting constructor for each user
Speed up projects with ERPNext, the open source project management software. Improve communication and accountability with everything you need in one workspace.
- All-In-One Workspace
- To-Do List & Real-Time Chat
- Document Storage
- Profitability Analysis
- Time-Tracking & Billing
- Customer Access
- On-The-Fly Customizations
- Multilingual Project Management Software
Odoo is a suite of open source business apps that cover all your company needs: CRM, eCommerce, accounting, inventory, point of sale, project management, etc.
- Forecast needs & resources
- Harness the power of visual information
- Discuss tasks Share documents
- Conceptualize project scope within an easy-to-read overview
- Fully integrated with other Odoo Apps
ProjeQtOr is an open source project management software grouping in a single tool all the features needed to organize your projects.
- Planning management
- Resource management
- Incident management
- Costs management
- Quality management
- Risks management
- Perimeter management
- Commitments management
Kanboard is a free and open source Kanban project management software.
- Visual and clear overview of your tasks
- Drag and drop tasks between columns easily
- Limit your work in progress to be more efficient
- Search and filter tasks
- Tasks, subtasks, attachments and comments
- Automatic actions
- Translated in 30+ languages
- Multiple Authentication Backends
- Free and Open Source software
Mattermost Boards give developers an open source project and task management solution that makes project planning and milestone tracking easy.
- Kanban boards
- Multi-team views
- Project cards & tasks
- Unlimited custom attributes
- Group, filter, and sort tasks
- Customizable templates
- Archiving & back-up snapshots
- Messaging and meeting integrations
- File sharing
- Meeting notes
- Priority labeling